Vacations are the perfect time to have fun and decompress but doing so may be tough if you are worried about the safety of your home while you are away. It is crucial to know how to protect your home before going on a vacation! You can take several steps to trick intruders into believing that your home is occupied. If that does not work, there are a variety of safeguards you can put in place to scare off potential intruders.
Create the illusion of you being home by:
- Asking neighbors to collect your mail, newspapers, and packages, or ask the post office to hold your mail while you are on vacation. Letting these items pile up is a clear indication that no one is home!
- Leave visible lights on in your house.
- Avoid posting your vacation plans on social media. Advertising your absence on social media makes you an easier, clear target.
Before you leave for vacation:
Despite making your home appear occupied, burglars may still target your home. Add extra protection to your home by following these tips:
- Alert our office that you will be out of town.
- Advertise your alarm system with a sticker on your window or a sign in your yard. Call our office if you need either one! Burglars are less likely to target a home with a security system.
- Secure all valuables and firearms in a safe.
- Test your alarm system. Call into our office before testing your alarm system or else you run the risk of the police and/or fire department being dispatched. We can also walk you through how to test your system!
- Set your alarm before you leave! It is important to make sure your home is secured!
- Triple-check that ALL of your windows and doors are locked. This may seem like common sense, however, there are some windows and doors that some families do not use often that may be overlooked.
Your vacation should be relaxing and refreshing. Follow these tips and tricks to protect your home while you are on vacation!